Saturday, November 13, 2010

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins


Title: The Hunger Games
Author: Suzanne Collins
Release Date: July 3, 2010
Pages: 384
Source: Borrowed from a friend

First of all I must say I was crazy about these books (there are 3 in the series). So much so that I read all three in a week and my husband sulked around the whole time because I was ignoring him. It has been a long time since a book has completely captivated me like these books did and I loved every minute.

The books are actually young adult novels, but not written in a way that make them annoying for adults to read. The futurist plot line is set in a postapocalyptic North America, where the government has failed and a new dictatorship has emerged. The new and strange society structure will keep you captivated with every detail of the citizens' lives. Think Fahrenheit 451, Anthem or The Giver.

The story follows Katniss Everdeen (you will fall in love with this character) as she is chosen along with 11 other children to participate in the government's annual Hunger Games -- a fight to the death scenario meets Survivor-- that is broadcast on live TV. In the beginning, the book is all about Katniss trying to survive and return to the family that she loves. As the story continues into the next two books it evolves to include more mature themes including a rebellion against the government and a page-turning love triangle.

I must say, I was doubtful when I started these books. Right off the bat they sound very sci-fi and gory (what with children fighting to the death and all). But I was wrong on both accounts. The futurist society is more advanced in some ways, but the government keeps these advances from the people, so much of it takes place in almost third-world conditions. And while people do die in the book, it is in no way gory or disturbing.

Like many of my favorite books, this series defied my expectations leaving me pleasantly surprised to have stumbled upon such a great read. I literally could not put these books down. And when I did finally finish them, I was sad that they were over and continued thinking about the characters for a good two weeks.

Book Rating: 5 out of 5: Absolutely loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment