Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Must-Read Shortlist

Since I'm in between books for now, I thought I'd give you a run down of some of my favorite recent reads. All of these books are utterly captivating--my favorite quality in a book. Once you pick them up, be prepared not to be able to put them back down. If you're looking for a new book to read for the summer--here's where you should start.

1. A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

I will admit, I was hesitant to read this book. When I saw it was about the middle east, I automatically thought it would be boring and political and I wanted nothing to do with it. I couldn't have been more wrong. This book follows the lives of women in Afghanistan and paints a real-life portrait of what it's like to live in a country where women don't have anywhere close to equal rights. If you have a heart for women's issues, or are just a compassionate human being, this book will change your life. It's high up there on my must-read-again list.


2. Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

Several of my more stubborn friends and family members adamantly swore they would not like this book. And I kindly made each of them eat their words when they couldn't put it down. If you're feeling a little whimsical this summer or are in the mood for something a little dark, daring and adventurous, then Water for Elephants is for you. Be prepared to be shocked, offended and absolutely fall in love with this book that follows the main character as he joins a traveling circus during the Great Depression. You will not find more interesting characters than you'll come across in this story. This book is about the equivalent of watching a train wreck. Parts of it are tragic and horrible...but you just can't look away.

3. American Wife by Curtis Sittenfeld

I used to think politics were boring, until I read this book. Curtis Sittenfeld wrote this fictional story loosely based on the events of the life of Laura Bush. The beginning of the book reads like a good gossip magazine and I found myself googling to find out if all this stuff really happened to Laura Bush. Either way, it makes for a great novel as we follow main character Alice Lindgren as she navigates the waters of love and relationships and finds herself on a life path she never imagined for herself, on her way to becoming the First Lady. While the twists and turns of her life will keep you captivated until the end, you'll also find yourself pondering the deeper meaning of marriage and loyalty.

4. Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Somehow I had been missing out on this wonderful series that was first published in the early '90s. It has quite a large following and I have now hitched up my Scottish kilt and jumped on that bandwagon. On one hand it's a dynamic love story about a WWII nurse who gets transported back in time (sounds cheesy, but in the book it's not) to 18th century Scotland. If you thought Edward Cullen was swoon-worthy, wait until you meet Jamie Fraser. On the other hand it's also a wonderful historical fiction about the Highlanders and their last battle for independence from the English. After reading it, I genuinely felt like I had visited Scotland. The good news is, if you like this book, there's a whole series following it that will keep you entertained for months!

5. Voice in the Wind by Francine Rivers

Oh Francine Rivers, how I love your Christian Fiction. Here's another great series (3 books) that is worth your time this summer. Voice in the Wind follows the story of Hadassah, a young Jewish Christian girl who is taken into slavery after the fall of Jerusalem. She's thrown into Rome during the height of the empire and the depths of its immorality. The picture of Rome that Rivers paints will both shock and captivate you. All of it is overshadowed though by Hadassah's remarkable faith during unthinkable trials and tragedies.


What books are on your must-read list??

No comments:

Post a Comment