Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Pretty in Plaid by Jen Lancaster

Title: Pretty in Plaid
Author: Jen Lancaster
Release Date: May 5, 2009
Pages: 365
Source: Public library

I've been reading (and laughing out loud at) Jen Lancaster's blog, www.jennsylvania.com, for the last few months now. After reading all about her hilarious day-to-day mishaps, confrontations and distractions and laughing hysterically at her figurine re-enactments of the Twilight movies, I decided it was about time I picked up one of her books.

Though she has several bestsellers out, I was limited in my selection based on what the local library had in stock (apparently her books are pretty popular among the library-goers of Hoover, AL) Regardless, I was plenty satisfied with the one book of hers left on the shelf, Pretty in Plaid.

The book follows her life from brownie girl scout to post-college career awakenings, or what she calls "the wonder years before the condescending, egomaniacal, self-centered smart-ass phase." The plot line isn't shockingly original, since it follows the events of her life, including a move in elementary school, being bullied in middle school, self-centered in high school and trying to belong in college. I love that she told each story in the book by prefacing exactly what she was wearing when it happened. I can easily relate, I remember most of the events of my life based on what dessert coincided with it (vanilla snack pack, trefoil cookie, Bill Clinton's birthday cake..mmm..you all bring back so many great memories).

The great thing about this book is that is reads just like Lancaster's blog. Her voice in her writing is so distinguishable and unique it makes you feel like your listening to her inner monologue, which is way funnier than anything I've ever thought. Or maybe that's what makes it so funny, is that yes, I have thought it, but never have been able to put it so... delicately.

Of the supposedly "best" sorority house on her campus she writes:

"Should there be this many doilies in a dwelling occupied by women in their late teens and twenties? I'm surprised at the chipped crown molding and the stained carpeting. Again, a casual observer would assume this is where women live at the end of their lives, not the beginning. Or a place where teens would wait out the rest of their unplanned pregnancies, idly playing Boggle and Jenga while watching Sally Jessy Raphael on a snowy black-and-white television until birth sets them free from their lacy mauve prison."

While I thought the book lost some steam toward the end, I would still say if you're looking for a light, laugh-out-loud book you can read in a breeze, I would recommend Pretty in Plaid. Or any Jen Lancaster for that matter, she ranks pretty high on my list of favorite humor authors, right up there with David Sedaris. Check out her blog if you want some funny in small doses!

Book Rating: 4 out of 5: I recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment